Resource skill and hoarding

I like the elegance of the resource skill. Bookkeeping in other RPGs turns into a drag. My lingering issue however, is how players can by something once, then have it forever. I fear character sheets becoming long lists of things they have purchased from previous sessions/scenarios/etc. You got a lucky roll and bought that bulletproof vest–and now you have one forever. And a boat. And a truck. And a motorcycle. And a telescope. And a flame-thrower. Not just “resources” rolls either–don’t forget the jet skis we stole from the big bad guy’s lair. Write all this down because it will come in handy one day…
I’ve considered having items “expire” at the end of a scene/scenario–unless the player chooses to make it one of their aspects.
Does anyone have any ingenious solutions to the hoarding problem?

2 Likes

*buying something" mechanically translates to Create an Advantage with Resources. You get a new aspect the thing you bought with one or two free invokes. If you want to get the mechanical effect of invoking it more, you need to spend fate points.

3 Likes

That makes sense! If in the future they want to use a thing, they could spend a fate point, or “buy” it again with resources (which I suspect they might be inclined to do). That certainly makes it feel more balanced.
Any thoughts on how to explain that “in game” to players? It makes intuitive sense that when you knock over a shelf in the candy store, you can leverage that moment immediately–but eventually the surprise is over, it’s more of a stretch to keep using it. But a jet ski is still a jet ski…

To play off of what @Ryan said, there is the mechanical benefit of the thing and the narrative benefit.

Let us say that a PC used Resources to buy a boat during a previous session.

Narratively, they can use the boat to ferry everyone to the oil rig off the coast. But is it that simple? Is the sea rough? Is it nighttime? Does the PC know how to do more than basically steer the boat? You can lean into the problem of PCs having too much stuff by leaning into it and introducing complexity.

Mechanically, if the PC wants to benefit on rolls they will need to create a fresh aspect. Scene Aspects are things that are important in the story right now and when they are no longer immediately needed, they go away. Remind your players that the boat is only important right now because they have cause to use it, so they have to create new aspects for right now. If they want those aspects to be always available, refresh can be paid to make the boat Gear.

This leads me to another point—spending refresh on Gear is how a character “stocks up” on equipment that is always available, D&D-style. Resources is a skill about solving problems in the moment and not confused with stockpiling stuff.

My two cents.

7 Likes

I gotta admit, as much as I prefer abstracting out resources rather than tracking money and items, I also don’t super enjoy the part of the game where we have to manage resource narratives. Once or twice is fine, but when a character with high Resources or Contacts can “spam” advantages to solve a very large variety of problems, I find it a bit tedious. I’m ready to admit that this may be my failure to reckon with the ruleset properly, but it feels not that much fun for me.

I’m lucky that I run games is moderately gritty fantasy settings, so I’ve eliminated those two skills, since “deploying” resources and contacts is a much slower task than it is today. If characters accumulate wealth or the favor of a powerful group, I’ll use a temporary aspect or a stress track that is only cleared when the narrative warrants it. That’s my homebrew solution.

2 Likes

All these perspectives are eye-opening (worth way more than 2-cents each). I love the idea that resources or contacts just like any other skill you might use to solve a problem—you need to cross a river, one person will just swim, another will make a raft, another will borrow a boat from a friend, and another will rent a boat. Problem solved. The adventure moves on. If you come to that same river a year later, you probably each solve the same problem the same way. Maybe even with the same boat, that needs to be repaired, re-borrowed, or re-rented. Spending aspects and refresh is a much more controlled way to document the stuff that is most relevant to the story. And even you had the aspect “I own warehouses full of cool stuff” you are really just providing an easy explanation why you can convert Fate Points into +2 resource checks. (Not to mention, provide the GM with lots of opportunities for thieves, warehouse fires, trespassing vagrants… etc)

3 Likes

I like all of the answers given here. An interesting way to represent a “hoard” of stuff (provided it’s not just a stockpile of goods) is to turn it into an Organization - Fate has several ideas for organizations, but I like the idea presented in Family Favors, Fate Codex. This concept really works well for anyone with a Base of Operations.

I gave my PC team a well supplied starship (chartered, under NPC control). Once a session, provided the Starship or similar Base of Operations is accessible, I give them one free invoke of “Stuff from the Starship,” or whatever they want to call it at that moment; it can be crew help, actual stuff, even a well-timed strafing run from a shuttle! It also makes a useful compel-able aspect, “the starship’s not accessible,” about the time they need something, cool or otherwise.

And of course, it being a starship, sometimes stuff just happens - not to mention the fact any time they use it for anything that not’s explicitly mission related (OK, even sometimes when it IS related), they’re going to owe someone a Favor, which is essentially an agreed to compel in advance.

4 Likes

Very interesting!
At the moment we are running a game in a fairly traditional fantasy setting. My character is part of a cult and we narrowed down contacts and resources to contacts and resources of that cult. With the implied consequences of how long it takes to porcure something or a bit of information. In addition, when thinking of items and equipment the things I have access to are mostly borrowed or consumables aside from what I use regularly (a specific weapon or piece of rope).
I think resolving the burden of a character keeping track of everything via a narrative and phisical dimension is the best path (you bought a motorcycle to get somewhere and now? You leave it there and move on? You trade it for information? etc…).

Thinking about it we applied the same process of skill narrowing to Crafting: from narrative point of view my char has some exposure on how to craft poisons and small explosives hence we narrowed down the skill Craft to those fields to avoid it creeping in other contexts where it wouldn’t make sense that my char is skilled.
I don’t remember seeing it in the Fate materials but I think this makes the character have a clearer shape. I imagine this could be done with aspects and or stunts, but limiting the skill itself sets a clearer boundry on what the character can do and avoid spam situations.

1 Like